Sunday 6 January 2013

My Lush Dream Ends...for now

My This Works candle is a definite must when having a bath, a lovely Christmas present. The bowl containing Lush goodies was handmade by a little girl in my class.
After years of walking past the open Lush doors and getting that familiar waft I finally ventured in over the summer. I had heard from someone that Lush has a very high staff turnover, I was not  surprised by this news as I had wondered if a gas mask was part of the uniform. I was always put off by the 'highly perfumed' smell as it's like alarm bells going off for my skin. I have eczema  so have to be careful of the products I use on my body, particularly in the winter months. It's usually very manageable and only flares up because of stress or cold weather. As my Mum had always told family members not to buy me 'smellies' for Birthdays and Christmas she warned me off Lush. However after hearing and seeing such beautiful products online and in magazines I JUST HAD TO GO IN! (No gas mask needed actually).
 
After a lovely warm welcome at my local Lush my eyes darted over to the baskets full of bathbombs...I didn't quite know what to do with myself. I just wanted to grab them all and give them a good sniff but come on, there are loads, and I didn't want the staff to think I had a major 'sniffing things' fetish. Saying that surely this type of behaviour is normal Lush etiquette?
 
I decided on a few bath bombs, a bubble bar, a bath melt and a massage bar. Yes I know I went a little mad but I panicked ok! Overall I was really pleased with my purchases and will definitely be getting some of my favourites again. Oh before I forget some of the bathbombs cover you in glitter-not ideal if you're just getting straight into your pyjamas after your bath. Cue bemused look from my boyfriend...
So my favourite bathbombs are:




My favourite bath bomb 'Blackberry'
Blackberry- a lovely light purple colour that fizzes quickly as soon as it hits the water. It smells of blackberry and also contains frankincense oil, one of my favourite scents. It turns the water a dark blue/purple and the scent filled the bathroom, actually whole cottage for a few days! The scent also stayed on my skin for a while and my boyfriend mentioned he liked it too. There is a surprise in the middle but I wont ruin it for you. A definite thumbs up from me!

Big Blue- If you loved the Little Mermaid (or still do...) you will love this one! It's scented with lemon oil, lavender oil and contains fine sea salt and Arame seaweed. YES I said seaweed! Like the Blackberry bomb it fizzes brilliantly and turns the water a dark blue. The scent is lovely and fresh and of course you can't help but feel like a mermaid swimming in the deep blue sea! Another thumbs up.

Sex Bomb- Of all the bathbombs this is the one I heard about first and I can see why. It's a pretty pink and purple bathbomb with a  foam flower in the middle. It turns the water a nice pink colour and contains clary sage oil, ylang ylang oil and jasmine. The scent is not as strong as the others but overall very pleasant. This is a nice one if you have daughters or nieces etc, although you may want to invent a new name to avoid any awkward questions!

 
Each Peach (top) and The Comforter (bottom)
 
Right, onto the bubbles!
The Comforter - The comforter is another Lush staple and does exactly what the title suggests. You break a little off and crumble it under the tap. It makes fairly good bubbles and turns the water pink.It has a nice fruity scent and did make my skin feel soft.

The hmmmm bit of the blog:
Floating Island Luxury Bath Melt- This claims to be great for dry skin so I was quite disappointed. Despite it mainly containing almond oil, sandalwood oil and cocoa butter it didn't really do a lot for my skin. It was rather dull too, it didn't melt as the title suggests it just sank to the bottom of the bath looking very unloved indeed. It also made the bottom of the bath feel a bit gritty too. Thumbs down for this one.

Each Peach (And Two's A Pair) Massage Bar- I did enjoy using this in the summer after my bath as it glides over your skin easily. It smells really fruity and contains cocoa butter, shea butter, avocado butter and mango kernal butter!The only thing I didn't like was that it doesn't really sink into your skin and leaves a greasy 'film' on your skin. Inbetweeny thumbs up/down for this one!

So after all that you're probably wondering why this blog post is titled 'My Lush Dream Ends...for now'. Once the summer was over (did it ever start?) my skin decided to turn its nose up at Lush and after each bath my body was covered in eczema! I think I will only ever be able to use Lush bath products in the summer months. I was gutted as all the ingredients are so lovely and seem perfect for dry skin. However something in them was irritating my skin so had to stop using them. I WILL be a mermaid in the bath again darn it, roll on the summer!

Apologies for not having photos for each Lush product mentioned but I will not be repurchasing anymore until the Summer months.
 
I know you are all going to crave all things Lush so go on have a look you know you want too! www.lush.co.uk

P.S- If any of you fellow dry skin/eczema prone people were wondering what I do use on my body I'm a big fan of Soap and Glory and Vaseline Intensive Care...more on those later.

Thanks for reading!

xxx














1 comment: